Welcome to Writing Clearly
Why do the Writing Clearly course?
If you want to do well in written assignments at university, it is
not enough to have good ideas and well-researched information, your
ideas must be written clearly.
What makes writing clearer?
- Good Structure: Structure is the organisation of
ideas and information into functional stages in a complete written text,
in each section, and each paragraph of the text.
- Good Cohesion: Cohesion is the presence of a clear
and logical flow of ideas and information through connections across
the whole text, each section and each paragraph.
The four units of this course show you how the basic resources for
clearer writing are used in an academic paragraph. The focus is the
paragraph as the basic building block of academic writing.
- Paragraph Structure: how to organise ideas and information into paragraph stages.
- Information Structure: how to arrange information inside a sentence to create flow across sentences.
- Vocabulary & Reference: how to relate words across a paragraph in four different ways.
- Conjunction/Logical Relations: how to logically relate ideas across sentences and paragraphs.
iWrite - Welcome to Writing Clearly